"There's a myth that anyone who has a liver problem has brought it on themselves" This quote is from a Crohn's disease patient living with a blocked portal vein hoping for a liver transplant (Independent 31st Oct 2010)

Monday 18 October 2010

Saturday headline

The Independent's front page headline is "warning over Britain's addiction to codeine".
20 million people have it prescribed and a further 27 million packs are sold over-the-counter in its multitide of forms: Panadol, Solpadeine, Nurofen plus, codeine cough linctus etc. In the pharmacy packs of co-codamol (8mg codeine/500mg paracetamol) were one of our fastest OTC sellers.
I took a 30mg codeine from my hospital discharge pack at 2am last night. Tried cutting it in half but it crumbled away. The drain area was painful again and my pack of co-codamol was downstairs and would have meant waking T. It was 2 hours before I got back to sleep and at 8.30 I woke with a hangover. Spent virtually all day crashed out on the sofa and the headache didn't go til about 5pm. I discovered from the news article that codeine is broken down into morphine by the liver. Maybe I feel so toxic because my liver's response is different.

Diet diary: muesli/whole weetabix, 1/2 teacake, soup&sandwich, 1/2 teacake, gammon/fries/peas/banana, cornflakes = weight + 1lb @ 8st 91/2.

No comments:

Post a Comment