"There's a myth that anyone who has a liver problem has brought it on themselves" This quote is from a Crohn's disease patient living with a blocked portal vein hoping for a liver transplant (Independent 31st Oct 2010)

Thursday 28 October 2010

Baggy trousers

My baggy trousers have arrived. To fit my size 16 tummy (with lunch-sized portion of Reggae reggae pasta chicken inside). With a small tuck they will fit my size 10 bum too! Wearing them now and feeling more comfortable.
Following the advice of blogger extraordinaire Dizzie on CancerResearch.uk I've been browsing and adding my name to 'follow' some other blogs. A few common themes appear:

the Waiting theme; "a large part of our lives on this cancer journey involves waiting, waiting in hospitals as the appointment system fails, waiting for treatment in said hospital, waiting for tests and then the long wait for their results, waiting for my scan results to come through in the hope that the cancer hasn't spread further, waiting for this, waiting for that and waiting for the other! - jazzcatx2"
The Food theme; everyone loses weight and spends blog time recording their weight or how much they ate or how horrid it tastes while on chemo (thankfully I have been spared that) or how sick/nauseous they feel not fancying food but aware of their weight loss and trying to eat.
8st 10 1/2 by the way, and 32" so I've lost a bit somewhere. Hope the above chicken was worth 1/4lb.
The Supplements: All of my work clients have their trays. boxes or packs of pills everyday. My job includes checking they've taken them each day at the right time, with or without food. I've joined in with my morning row of pills and potions. The measure of lactulose, the capsule of acidophilus, the multi-vitamins, the glass of tincture. I'm no good with pills so mine are all liquid. I slosh instead of rattle.
the Pain relief: It baffled me why post op, after being taken off morphine (Step 3 pain relief), I was given paracetamol (Step 1). I thought of it as a mild pain reliever; safe for teething babies, not something for surgery pain or cancer pain. But it seems common practice to give it alongside an opioid (Step 2) such as codeine. While others juggle opiods, morphine derivatives and analgesics for breakthrough pain I've escaped with nothing stronger than Step 2 for a few days. I'd like to avoid oral meds if possible as they are another thing metabolized by the liver. The only way to get round that would be suppositories (aaragh), under the skin or intravenous.
Sleeping: It's not unusual to find a blog or forum post written at 4am or similar wee small hour of the night. Chemo finds people sleepless and sweaty (again I'm lucky to escape that). I do have restless nights, waking up every 3 to 4 hours to move and stretch as i seem to be stuck in whatever position I have dozed off in. Still cant lie on my left side where the drain incision was and spend some of the night propped up at 45degrees.

No comments:

Post a Comment