"There's a myth that anyone who has a liver problem has brought it on themselves" This quote is from a Crohn's disease patient living with a blocked portal vein hoping for a liver transplant (Independent 31st Oct 2010)

Thursday 7 October 2010

Good news

Late Wednesday evening I get a call from Clare my Macmillan nurse. It's good news. The biopsy shows that although it is a hepatocellular carcinoma its small size and no spread of cancer cells into surrounding tissue mean I won't go on to have chemotherapy. Of the multitude of blood tests taken 3 days post op all but 2 are back within normal range. My albumin levels (see older post for ascites) are a tad low. A c-reactive protein level which measures post operative stress is a little high but still within normal range which means Mr O'blimey did what was needed with minimal trauma.

Because I am not now to be passed to an oncologist my post op care is back in the hands of mr O'blimey. After my initial 6 week check I will return to North Manchester for regular scans and blood tests. There will be close checks for recurrence.

T is working late today, so when just before tea-time a dripping tap suddenly bursts into flood (washer gone) I flap. Hot water is flooding the utility sink and all I can do without bending. stretching or lifting is turn the hot water setting on the boiler down to cold to stop the house turning into a sauna. Rod next door comes round to show J how to grovel under our sink and turn off the stoptap. Rod is 70+ and can't get into the small space while J is flexible like a snake and manages it! Luckily other neighbours are also our plumbers, and within seconds of returning home Tim comes over and replaces the washer. Phew, panic over.

No comments:

Post a Comment