"There's a myth that anyone who has a liver problem has brought it on themselves" This quote is from a Crohn's disease patient living with a blocked portal vein hoping for a liver transplant (Independent 31st Oct 2010)

Tuesday 22 February 2011

Bloods today

Back to the hospital this afternoon for the set of blood tests pre-biopsy. Liver function, full blood count, clotting rate', blood type and cross match, etc. They were only done 3 weeks ago, in preparation for the biopsy that never was. But I guess procedures being what they are, I have them done again just to be sure. Results will be on the system by tomorrow, Wednesday.

Timing will be good for a peek at a selection of the results to see if the 7 day course of anti-inflammatories has had any effect. Things like the ALT whose levels reflect inflammation and damage to the liver cells. I want to check the bilirubin level, the one that rises with jaundice. I may be paranoid but to me my skin is more Dulux pale 'Easter Morning' than flesh pink!


Work called to advise me that the sheltered housing where my Thursday client lives has a stomach bug going round and they don't want to put me in a vulnerable position of catching the virus just before the biopsy. So no work on Thursday and thanks Pam for forewarning me!

Sunday night: Rubbish sleep. Fluey again, with weird dreams and very restless.
Monday: 5mg tablet. Better sleep, but still weird dreams that wake me 3 times.
Anti-inflammatory works for about 7 hours instead of 24 now, from mid-morning after I take it to early evening. Energy levels low. This isn't the way to go and I'm due to stop tomorrow anyway and refer back to GP.

No comments:

Post a Comment