"There's a myth that anyone who has a liver problem has brought it on themselves" This quote is from a Crohn's disease patient living with a blocked portal vein hoping for a liver transplant (Independent 31st Oct 2010)

Sunday 10 April 2011

Ain't no maybe

The more medics that get involved the more opinions there are!

Hep B has a definitive set of blood tests and definite look to tissue cells under a microscope.
There's no doubt that I do have hep B viral cells in my liver.

There's also no doubt that I have white blood cells actively bashing something in my liver.

Where the doubt comes in is what are they bashing?

Are they encircling the remaining hep B viral cells to stop them replicating and escaping back into my blood stream.
Or are they bashing an active autoimmune virus.

Unfortunately there is no definitive blood test for autoimmune. Its a collection of jigsaw pieces and an educated guess!
My GP cousin made an educated guess last November.
So did a British Liver Trust hepatologist.

So at the moment its 3-1 in favour of autoimmune.
4-1 if you count my gut feeling and insistence on the second biopsy.

I found some guidelines on the internet published by the American Association for the Study of Liver Disease and I score 14/17 or a 'Probable' diagnosis of autoimmune.
Having concurrent Hep B is very rare and makes it impossible to make 'Definite' diagnosis of autoimmune.

Should I start lifetime treatment, based on a rare probable?
Whether I do or dont, there will always be some white blood cell activity in my liver encircling the remaining Hep B cells, and slowly slowly progressing the cirrhosis.

No comments:

Post a Comment