"There's a myth that anyone who has a liver problem has brought it on themselves" This quote is from a Crohn's disease patient living with a blocked portal vein hoping for a liver transplant (Independent 31st Oct 2010)

Wednesday 23 March 2011

This time it's personal

Since my return to work on 27th January I've been slowly adding clients and hours. I'm now visiting one client each day on Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Sunday. Although the shifts are no more than 2 hours, with the driving to and fro I'm probably working around 10 hours, which pathetic though it sounds I sense is now my limit.

Physically it's slightly easier than before, as my employer has been careful to assign me jobs that don't need manual handling or heavyweight household tasks. Emotionally I'm finding it harder than before because of the nature of the clients health. Alongside age related dementia (which I dont find a problem) I've ironically been allocated cancer patients so this time round it's more personal!

1 comment:

  1. I suppose if anyone had an understanding of their needs it's you. Compassion goes a long way. I watched an older man who started radiation the same day as me completely fall apart over the next six weeks. It was hard to see him go through the suffering and pain. He was in a wheel chair for the last week and the radiation therapists had to help him dress, etc. He would always ask after me and say hi. I came to love Dennis but had no idea how to help him. Hopefully you'll be able to meet the needs of these patients without feeling like you jumped back in the pool. Yay for getting out of the house and taking on some work. I hope it's beneficial to you. Don't stress the hours, we each do what we have to do and what we can do. I think you're doing awesome. Sorry for such a long absence on your blog. Let's blame it on the chemo. Big hugs all around. -Steve

    ReplyDelete