"There's a myth that anyone who has a liver problem has brought it on themselves" This quote is from a Crohn's disease patient living with a blocked portal vein hoping for a liver transplant (Independent 31st Oct 2010)

Tuesday 16 November 2010

G.I. in the trash

Val my neighbour takes me to an out of town Marks & Spencer for a couple of hours. She needs flowers for a friend and I need to return the too baggy baggy pants. We browse the comfy trouser section and I try on two pairs that fit much better. Also get some treats for tea (it's parent's evening tonight so not much time for cooking) and something for Christmas stockings. I start looking out for these round about now as I think it's fun to open stockings in bed on Christmas morning.
Because cirrhosis affects the ability to store glycogen I've been researching the glycemic index, a list of high carbohydrate foods that break down slowly, releasing glucose gradually into the bloodstream. Low GI foods are good for slow release, high are bad. Yesterday I made a low GI recipe for the first time. It sounded ok - chicken and chickpea casserole. It was voted 100% disgusting by all of us, and went in the bin. Thanks goodness for our friendly Indian takeaway at the bottom of the road.
T's encouragement and persistance at exercise is beginning to pay off. We had a nice 1/2 hour stroll in crisp sunshine around local viewpoint Teggs Nose, and I didnt seize up with stiff muscles till 2am when I tottered to the bathroom.
Weight: 9st 1lb - yay I've cracked the 9st barrier
Walk: 1/2 hour
Wii fit: 1/4 hour stepping and 1/4 hour ski slalom

No comments:

Post a Comment