"There's a myth that anyone who has a liver problem has brought it on themselves" This quote is from a Crohn's disease patient living with a blocked portal vein hoping for a liver transplant (Independent 31st Oct 2010)

Tuesday 10 August 2010

CT scan

Drink what feels like pints of gastrografin contrast medium (a dye) which contains iodine. It hints of aniseed and leaves me feeling bloated. The hospital has just opened a new CT scanner the day before and I'm one of the first to use it. The department is spotless brand new but the backless hospital gowns are as old fashioned as ever. They leave me in a cubicle for 20 mins to drink another pint of gastrografin. I could never be a binge drinker! More dye via IV once I'm in the scanner. Strange to be able to feel/taste it at the back of my throat and again in the pelvis. Not sure how many images were taken during about 1/2 hour but I do know I need the loo after all the drinking. The space is air conditioned and cold, but they can't find a blanket as the department isn't fully equipped yet. I make do with a sheet.
My inner elbows are feeling the strain now after 37 blood tests and the IV.

The gastrografin disagrees with me and I'm off work with an upset stomach.

No comments:

Post a Comment