"There's a myth that anyone who has a liver problem has brought it on themselves" This quote is from a Crohn's disease patient living with a blocked portal vein hoping for a liver transplant (Independent 31st Oct 2010)

Wednesday 29 February 2012

Treatment


More letters from heppy doc today. Now that he has a longer medical history for me, he has been able to consider everything he knows about my hepatitis carefully. The last two clinics I had with him he took a blood test to detect my hepatitis B viral load (thats a measure of how much of the virus is detectable in my blood). Both have come back detectable, albeit very low. This contrasts with one I had done in 2010 which came back Undetectable. Prior to that nobody had ever taken a viral load test as far as I'm aware.

So he wants to discuss starting me on treatment, probably Tenofovir those lovely blue pills in the picture above, if I am agreeable. So I go to see him on March 26th (our wedding anniversary, that'll be easy to remember if I do start treatment!).

Having had this for 30+ years and never been on any medication for it, at the moment this feels like a major step. Backwards or forwards I havent yet decided.

1 comment:

  1. Fiona,
    I'm glad you have a doctor who is looking at all aspects of your disease. It is hard to address things fully if you don't have the complete picture. We're crossing our fingers for you XX XX that these pills will be helpful and not problematic.
    Love, Carla

    ReplyDelete