"There's a myth that anyone who has a liver problem has brought it on themselves" This quote is from a Crohn's disease patient living with a blocked portal vein hoping for a liver transplant (Independent 31st Oct 2010)

Wednesday 13 February 2013

Fuzzy wuzzy

Saw the hepatologist yesterday, Tuesday.  The results of the Hep B viral load are back.  It's detectable again, at a very low level of 15units and probably not the cause of the high liver enzyme ALT.  However it means I cant continue on the lower dose of Tenofovir and will need to up to the dose and watch how my kidneys cope.

The biopsy results are back.  Dr Al wants to go through the report in detail alongside the histopathologist.  But based on the summary he has, it's saying the same as the previous one done in 2011 - probably autoimmune alongside the chronic Hep B.

So for now I continue with the treatment for the Hep B.  I continue treatment with high dose steroids to get the autoimmune inflammation down.  I go back to see him every 2 weeks to have bloods drawn to assess how well or otherwise the steroids are bringing down the ALT level.
Once the ALT is down to acceptable levels we introduce a new drug, an immunosuppressant, and wean me off the steroids.

On the plus side the aches and pains I've been reporting to Dr Al for 2 years have all gone.  Which suggests that they were caused by whatever the steroids are 'curing'. 
On the minus side, the steroids are messing with my head and my sense of well-being.  My head feels fuzzy wuzzy, my cognitive function is fuzzy wuzzy, my speech seems fuzzy wuzzy.  I have a spaced out feeling, with heavy limbs and a sense of wading through treacle.  At the same time it feels kind of 'speedy' with night sweats and disturbed sleep.  Dr Al assures me its the drugs, so hopefully these side effects will ease as the steroids reduce.

Snowing lightly here, a bit blizzardy.  Winter isnt over yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment