"There's a myth that anyone who has a liver problem has brought it on themselves" This quote is from a Crohn's disease patient living with a blocked portal vein hoping for a liver transplant (Independent 31st Oct 2010)

Monday 6 August 2012

Improvment

Got my latest kidney function result back today.  Improving again, back up to 73% and the creatine is reducing nicely.

It may be because I cut about 1/3 of the pill off before taking each day, reducing the dose.
It may be because I checked my water intake to make sure I wasnt dehydrated (I seem to manage about 1 3/4 litres a day which should be ok)
It may be because I'm drinking nettle tea, lol!

Whatever, I shall continue with the reduced dose of Tenofovir (which isnt protocol until you go down to an efGR of 50 - tut tut) and will risk a telling off by my hepatologist in September.  Decided I wasnt waiting til September and a crashing kidney function before any action was taken.

3 comments:

  1. Fiona,
    I think you have the right idea all the way around : )
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is that always the way? But at least you know that something IS working, and that’s great news.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Catherine. Don't know what worked. Dont even know if the fall in kidney function was a 'blip' that would have naturally righted itself. Whatever the reason for the fall in function, I'm not one for doing nothing about it.

    Waiting another 2 months until clinic and then another week or so for the results of the clinic results before doctor says do this or that would have been far too stressful, especially as it meant waiting til September clinic for advice.
    It may be that cutting the dose by cutting off the end of the Tenofovir pill will prove a mistake, if my viral load comes back. Protocol is to wait til kidney function drops to 50% (mine was lowest at 68) and then take 1 tablet every 48 hours instead of 1 tablet every 24 hours. I guess this is protocol because they dont manufacture tablets in less than 300mg, so there is no prescribable 150mg tablet. I've cut the dose to around 200mg per day, as that should keep it in my system, rather than have a day between each 300mg tablet with no medication. (if that makes sense)

    ReplyDelete