"There's a myth that anyone who has a liver problem has brought it on themselves" This quote is from a Crohn's disease patient living with a blocked portal vein hoping for a liver transplant (Independent 31st Oct 2010)

Wednesday 18 April 2012

MRI

The MRI that was, and then wasn't, and then was,.. is now Friday this week, at Macclesfield.  The last MRI I had was in August 2010, the last useful CT was in March 2011, so this imaging is long overdue.

My cancer buddy Hannah is coming with me to hold my hand and stop the nerves.  Well not literally hold my hand as she cant come further than the waiting room.  If you read this Hannah, hope you dont mind being referred to as a cancer buddy.  Hannah is the only other HCC patient I've met in person, though I do know a few via the liver forum.

Hannah gets sick to the stomach before her MRI's (and has them 3-monthly) and I get the nervous shakes and palpitations, so we will be a right mess!

3 comments:

  1. Fiona,
    Can they give you something to help relax you, like valium?
    I'm glad you are finally going to get some current scans.
    Good luck on Friday.
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Carla. I don think the radiography staff can give out sedatives, they would have to be doctor prescribed.
    I'm sure my GP would prescribe valium or similar, yes. But I'd have to go to the surgery, make an appointment, go back for the appointment, get a prescription (which would be for a minimum of 28 pills as they cant prescribe a single tablet), go to the pharmacy to get the tablets. And all before tomorrow!
    Taking a sedative before I go would mean I can't drive, and I'm at a client till 1/2hour before the scan so have to drive. Taking one when I get there probably wouldn't work fast enough and then I couldnt drive back home.
    Having a friend to distract me sounded much easier, more positive, and no stress on my liver as no drug to process.

    ReplyDelete